[Geany] Using Snippets

Thomas Martitz thomas47 at xxxxx
Fri Jan 2 18:40:21 UTC 2009

So, after this mailing list made me aware of the super great snipped
feature, I decided to get a bit into Geany hacking to expand the snipped
featureset.

What my patch does is basically allow more than 1 cursor position and
move to the next one using a hotkey. Little example:

for(i = 0; i < [cursor1]; i++)
{
    [cursor2]
}
[cursor3]

After doing for<tab>, the cursor ends up at cursor1, now you insert your
text (e.g. MAX_COUNT), and hit ctrl+tab and move to cursor2, doing your
stuff.

That saves a lot of movement with the arrow keys!
The snippet.conf syntax doesn't change, you're just going to add more
%cursor%.

However, the current patch is far from intelligent and nice. It's a bit
hackish (limited to 10 cursors, global struct in editor.c ...), and the
next cursor movement is apparently broken once you hit tab normally
between "jumps". To be investigated! Also, I changed the hotkey of "go
to last used tab" to nothing, so that ctrl+tab is free for this (this is
the best hotkey I can find for), feel free to discuss!

This being my first code contribution to Geany, I'd really like to get
some feedback! Don't hit me if it's bad though ;)

PS: Geany is great :D