[Geany] Problem in Windows version of Geany

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Feb 22 19:06:28 UTC 2009

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 17:01:05 +0100, Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de>
wrote:

>Hi,
>

>On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 20:09:17 -0800
>Bob Snyder <bob.snyder at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Enrico Tröger wrote:
>> >>

>> > it's not a bug, it's a feature.
>> >
>> > On Linux, the default D'n'D action is to move text. On Windows the
>> > default action is to copy text.
>> > Don't ask me why these are the defaults but they affect all GTK
>> > applications. I.e. dragging in text areas in GTK apps on Windows,
>> > will/should always copy the text instead of moving it.
>>
>> I use Windows at work, Linux at home, and Geany on both. And finding
>> that Geany on Windows defaulted to copy rather than move was a
>> surprise. Even more of a surprise was that this is normal! Certainly,
>> 'native' apps on Windows (like Word etc.) do move rather than copy.
>> That GTK apps in Windows do it backwards seems to me bizarre. It
>> makes using Geany in both Windows and Linux a bit frustrating.
>
>I did a short test on apps installed on my Windows XP SP3 at office and
>I'm afraid I can second this

And I can completely understand this but AFAIK this is a GTK thing,
more or less unrelated to Geany, as Geany just respects the GTK default.
Though I don't have any idea why the GTK default is different on
Windows.

As I already said, I thought there was a setting to change this but I
couldn't find anything.

for any hints about this, with the results we could add a FAQ item on
the Geany website or something like this.
Just keep us up2date.