[Geany] Problem in Windows version of Geany

Bob Snyder bob.snyder at xxxxx
Fri Feb 20 04:09:17 UTC 2009

Enrico Tröger wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 19:46:23 -0800, Bob Snyder <bob.snyder at cox.net>
> wrote:
>
> Hey Bob,
>

>> According to the manual, dragging selected text is move by default,
>> but copy with the shift key. Indeed that is how it works under Linux.
>> But in Windows, it still has the pre-0.11 behavior: copy by default,
>> move with the shift key.
>>

> it's not a bug, it's a feature.
>
> On Linux, the default D'n'D action is to move text. On Windows the
> default action is to copy text.
> Don't ask me why these are the defaults but they affect all GTK
> applications. I.e. dragging in text areas in GTK apps on Windows,
> will/should always copy the text instead of moving it.

Hi Enrico,

I use Windows at work, Linux at home, and Geany on both. And finding
that Geany on Windows defaulted to copy rather than move was a surprise.
Even more of a surprise was that this is normal! Certainly, 'native'
apps on Windows (like Word etc.) do move rather than copy. That GTK apps
in Windows do it backwards seems to me bizarre. It makes using Geany in
both Windows and Linux a bit frustrating.

Thanks for the answer.

Bob S.