[Geany] new language

Dominic Hopf dmaphy at xxxxx
Wed Feb 18 19:51:58 UTC 2009

Am Mittwoch, den 18.02.2009, 18:25 +0100 schrieb spir:
> Hello,
>
> how is it possible to add a language (Io -- very simple syntax -- see http://iolanguage.com/scm/git/checkout/Io/docs/IoGuide.html#Appendix-Grammar)?

Adding a new language to Geany is not that easy as it might seems. In
fact, the syntax has be supported by scintilla (the editor-engine Geany
uses). I'm not sure if it does. So if you want Io to be added for syntax
hilighting best way is to file a feature request to the scintilla
project or - maybe even better - write a patch for scintilla.

For Geany there are some files then to edit too (I don't know which in
special). Maybe a developer would do, but i think they would appreciate
a patch too.

If the syntax of Io is akin to another language scintilla and Geany
already support, there is an easy way to get syntaxhilighting for Io:
Just edit your filetype_extensions.conf and add the extensions for your
Io-files to the language supported by Geany. (See documentation for more
information how to do this.)

Regards,
Dominic

--