[Geany] Read Source of Geany

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Feb 5 18:48:44 UTC 2009

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 15:45:55 +0530 (IST), shan chak
<shankholove2005 at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

>Hi guys I am taking the course on Software engineering and Human
>computer Interface .I took geany as my case study so downloaded the
>source code of geany but now I dont know how to start reading the
>source code of geany , the downloaded source doesnt contain any class
>diagram.Can anybody help me in reading and understanding the source
>code. Thankyou.

Not sure what I suggest you but as usual reading C code can be started
in the global main() function. You can find it in src/main.c,
obviously. There are many different initially set up and then finally
the GTK main loop is entered. After entering the main loop, Geany is
more or less idling and user interaction based events call functions in
src/callbacks.c or other source files.
This might be a bit hard to follow directly but in case of detailed
questions, just ask.
Most parts of the GUI, mainly the main interface and the preferences
dialog are created by Glade, defined in the geany.glade file.
src/interface.c is the generated source code but not really interesting
interesting to read :).

You should mainly concentrate on the src/ folder, these are the Geany
sources.
The scintilla subfolder is only a copy of the Scintilla library, see
www.scintilla.org.
The tagmanager subfolder is used to parse source files opened in Geany.
The code itself was a separately developed library long time ago but
AFAIK abandoned by the author.