[Geany] Can't launch newly created geany package on my Mac

Jason Oster parasytic at xxxxx
Tue Feb 3 18:49:39 UTC 2009

Norman Chonacky wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2009, at 3:24 PM, Jason Oster wrote:
>> The first thing I would try is updating X11:
>> http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki (The most recent version
>> requires OS X 10.5.6, but older version are still available)
>>
>> The next thing to try (which is how I first got Geany setup on Mac OS X)
>> is building Geany as a "native" app using GTK+OSX:
>> http://www.gtk-osx.org/ (this project does not require nor use X11)
>>
>> Hopefully this provides a good starting point, at the least!
>
> Jason --
> I looked over the X11 versions on macosforge.org and they all started
> with 2.xx, which means intended for Leopard only. I might need to bite
> the bullet and install Leopard on one of my machines now. I hate to do
> such things when I am in the middle of a project because there are
> always glitches as well as learning involved.
> As a last desperate grasp at a straw for correcting my current geany
> installation under Tiger, can you tell me if the geany display is
> mediated by X11? If so, then I may have filepath problem with my
> installation as well as or instead of X11 version problems, since my
> current X11 xterm application does not find geany when I enter "geany"
> at the xterm command line. Only the OS X application Terminal finds it.

Hi Norman,
I assume you've built Geany with Apple's bundled GTK+ support. In that
case, it does need X11. If you can start Geany from Xterm (give the
/full/path/to/geany) then at least that's all good.

I haven't ever built Geany for X11 on OS X (sorry if I made it sound
that way). I've always used developer versions of GTK+OSX, which worked
reasonably well.