[Geany] OT: How to get shorter lines in the Geany manual?

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sat Aug 29 17:02:03 UTC 2009

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 10:53:14 -0400, Randy wrote:

Hi randy,

>I see that the document is written in  reStructuredText and then,
>iiuc, rendered (is that the right word) using docutils.  Does anyone
>(here) know how to tell docutils (or reST) how to wrap the text to a
>narrower width (shorter line length)?
>
>(I checked a few of the lines and got a character count around 115
>characters per line.)
>
> [...]
>
>Or, alternatively, a way to tell docutils to leave the lines unwrapped
>so the browser can wrap them to the width of the browser window, while
>leaving pictures or tables at their full width?
>
>I did try googling for docutils to find information or someone to ask
>there--I didn't find either the information or an obvious contact, so
>I thought I'd try here first.

You were on the right way. Though docutils don't wrap the text at all,
it's done with our custom CSS file.
Find line 15 of doc/geany.css which reads like:
width: 60em;
in the "body" class. IIRC it defines the document width. You can either
change it or remove it to have unwrapped lines, so your browser can do
it on its own.
Alternatively, you can change the used CSS style in your browser to use
the "print" version. E.g. in Firefox click on View->Page Style->No
Style, not sure how to do it in Konqueror.