[Geany] Combined find & replace dialog? - Re: Asking for a new feature

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Aug 25 20:36:34 UTC 2009

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 12:36:41 +0100, Nick wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 22:55:32 +0200
>Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
>
>> I still think it makes things only more sophisticated and confusing.
>> Though I don't have a strong opinion on that. So, if anyone wants to
>> go for it, ok.
>>
>> About Christoph's screenshot: the dialog looks way too big to just
>> search something, IMO.
>> If I see the Replace field, I would first think that I opened the
>> wrong dialog when I just want to search text. But that's probably
>> just me.
>
>Yes, it's not really relevant to the discussion IMO.
>
>I was thinking the Find menu item could hide the replace dialog parts
>as they could probably be in an expander anyway. The Replace menu item
>would expand the replace area.

My previously mentioned argument is still valid:
if I want to search something, I open a Find dialog and then I don't
want to be confused with replace options, I just want to search.

I see I'm quite picky on that, not sure why :).

I also see that one could say: why maintaining two dialogs for somewhat
related functionality and except the above, I can't answer much more.
It's more something emotional than rationale, for me :).

Hiding replace stuff in an expander makes it less worse but still not
good, for me.

But once more: I don't have a strong opinion on that. It's just my
feeling is somewhat against. As long as I don't find good arguments to
prove my feeling, I won't be against :).