[Geany] Visible whitespace

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Aug 19 01:03:41 UTC 2009

2009/8/19 Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:
> On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 16:37:43 +1000, Lex wrote:
>
>>Hi Lee,
>>
>>2009/8/18 Lee Gold <leegold at operamail.com>:
>>>
>>> I tried changing colors in files.common. Changing just color does
>>> not solve the problem because the symbols are very tiny pin pricks.
>>> Changing them to black or red does not help. Changing background
>>> color from white totally disrupts the "look".
>>
>>Unfortunately AFAICT the visible whitespace display is hard coded in
>>Scintilla, the editing component used by Geany
>>(http://www.scintilla.org).  Geany can only turn it on/off.
>>The best that can be done is to fiddle with the settings to minimise
>>the disruption whilst maximising visibility.
>
> Another, in the long term more promising thing to be done is to request
> this feature enhancement to the Scintilla project, once it is available
> there, it will also be available in Geany (ok, maybe with some little
> delay :D).
> I don't know whether it's a coincidence or whether it was one
> of you but today exactly this request was made:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=352439&aid=2839427&group_id=2439

I had a look at what was proposed above, it is probably the right way to do it.

So I did it the wrong way ;-)

To Neils eternal shame :-), the size of the dot is manifest constants
in the code, the patch changes it to the symbol
SCI_VISIBLE_WHITESPACE_SIZE with a default of one.

To change it "make CXXFLAGS=-DSCI_VISIBLE_WHITESPACE_SIZE=2" or
whatever size or configure it or however waf does these things.

Patch is against scintilla in Geany.