[Geany] Two sidebar questions

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Apr 27 20:23:43 UTC 2009

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 23:34:48 +0200, Egbert wrote:

Hi and welcome,

>Since a few weeks I use Geany (0.14, Debian), and I like it very much.

Just for your interest, 0.14 is quite old...in the experimental
distribution 0.15 is available while 0.16 is already released but not
yet packaged and 0.17 will be released soon.

>I use the sidebar very often, and I have assigned it the toggle Alt-S.
>
>When I click on a symbol name in the sidebar, the corresponding code
>appears on the right hand side. However, there seems to be no current
>line any more, and any PgUp, Control-Home etc has no effect.

I'm not sure what you mean, sorry.
The line containing the symbol you clicked should be highlighted with a
yellow background colour or with a small yellow arrow left to the
beginning of the line (depending on the state of View->Editor->Show
Markers Margin).

Regarding the keys without effect: I guess this is because the input
focus wasn't set back to the editor widget after clicking on a symbol
in the list. This has just been fixed in SVN r3743.

>When I open the sidebar, by default a list of documents is shown,
>not the symbol list of the current document. So I always have to select
>the symbol list. Another deliberate choice ?

Well, not exactly. But choosing one of the both lists probably won't do
it for some users. Some prefer to see the symbol list by default,
others would prefer the Documents list.
As some kind of solution, I changed the code, so Geany remembers the
last active page when showing the sidebar (SVN r3739) and when (re-)
starting Geany.

>A third question came up. How do you pronounce Geany ?

ʒeːniː

I'd say it's the pronounced as "genie" but after all, it's up to you
how you pronounce it :).