[Geany] Scope-based snippet completion (was: Re: disabled CSS completion)

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed Apr 15 17:02:44 UTC 2009

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 17:33:16 -0400, Mars wrote:

Hi,

>I find Geany constantly performing expansions of the words 'for' and
>'if' whenever I try to write a plain-text email, or when I'm inside a

these expansions, called snippet completion, should only be done if you
press a certain key combination. By default, snippets are only
completed when pressing Tab. Maybe you changed the keybinding to
another combination.
If it is something which is to easy to hit for you, just change it. If
Geany completes 'if' or 'for' unconditionally without pressing a
certain key combination, this would be a bug.

>I would love to see something like Textmate's scope-based completion
>here. You can achieve this in TM by specify snippets in the "source.c"
>scope, which presumable ignores expansions inside
>"source.c.comment" (or "comment.c").
>
>But easier said than done: to implement scopes you would have to
>piggyback on the Scintilla lexer, generating the scopes while it does
>highlighting, or map the scopes to the lexer output after it has done
>its work.

Yeah. I think this would be a little out of Geany's scope :). Even
though this could bring a lot of new features, it's a lot of work to be
done before and someone needs to do it.