[Geany] highlighting custom comment markers

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Fri Sep 19 08:21:35 UTC 2008

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 18:28:39 +0000 (UTC), AC <gmane.0vd at gishpuppy.com>
wrote:

> > currently there is no generic solution for this.
> > There could be a plugin to do something like this, e.g. by setting
> > an indicator on such words, like a green or yellow underline or
> > something else.
>
> Is there any chance of there being such a setting in the foreseeable

I'm not sure. I won't work on it but maybe someone else likes to do.

> future? If not, how complicated would it be to create such a plugin
> (I hardly know any C/C++)?

It depends. Obviously, it would be much easier if you know C and if you
are familiar with the GTK API. But if you are encouraged enough, it
probably can be done also without deep knowledge of APIs.

You could have look at the spellcheck plugin, which does a similar job:
reading all the text from a document and pass every word to the
spellcheck engine. Your plugin simply would check every word if it is
'TODO', 'DEBUG', 'XXX' or anything else from a configurable list and
then trigger an action (e.g. setting an indicator).
It's not that hard after all, just need to be done.

IIRC the plugin wishlist on the website already contains such a wish,
so if it would be realised, you would make other people happy as
well :).