[Geany] project build management (was Re: Feature Suggestion: D projects automatically include modules)

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Mon Sep 15 12:06:57 UTC 2008

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 16:10:25 +0200
Brendan <brenzie at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > What about something like having a particular project window, a
> > > very simple one,
> > > where the user can set which files or folders to import/include?
> >

> > Not sure how this would work - do you mean extra flags/files to
> > append to the build command?
> >

> Something like that. The program would read what files the user
> specifies
> in the window, then the program puts them in the build command (but
> that's of course what the user doesn't (have to) see).

I'm not sure about that - I think that would involve implementing
workarounds for not writing a Makefile. Say we implemented
listing project source files, and you could use that in a build command
with something like e.g. %p, next people might request more powerful
build features.

Personally I think for portability and for power it's
best to use Makefiles, otherwise people need Geany just to build the
software. (We could implement a project-specific make command where
arguments can be listed, e.g. 'make debug CFLAGS=...'.)

Of course if people want to write plugins/lua scripts to do build
management for specific compilers/tools, that's up to them.

Regards,
Nick