[Geany] extend selection keybindings (Re: word-boundary characters)

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Thu Oct 2 15:31:20 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 14:52:50 +0200
Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 12:04:47 +0100, Nick Treleaven
> <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
>

> > > If this is a big issue for people, we could add two additional
> > > keybindings for the case when Shift is pressed. But these would
> > > have to be changed as well. So there are even more configuration
> > > efforts necessary.
> > > Alternatively we could add some hacks to the code which allows the
> > > Shift key to these both particular keybindings.
> > >
> > > I don't like both ways (the last one fewest :D).
> >
> > Personally I'd like it to work the second way, holding shift as well
> > as the configured binding works to extend the selection. This would
> > be useful for the 'Go to line end/start' bindings as well. For the
> > reason I mentioned above, this wouldn't work for any keys that have
> > a different character when shift is pressed, but it would work for
> > the alphabet, control characters and the numeric keypad.
>
> I'm not sure about the others, but yes, it should work for the
> alphabet. But this is all ugly due to different keyboard layout and
> different concepts.
>
> If people would use their mouse, things were much easier :).
> (j/k)

Heh ;-)

> More seriously, the question to me is if it's worth all the effort
> because I think many people don't use for instance the 'jump to
> [left|right] word part' binding very often and even less people will
> re-configure it. Maybe I'm wrong with that.

I use it quite often, but as I mentioned the extend selection bindings
don't work (at least for a UK keyboard). I don't think it would be
difficult or too ugly to have Geany handle this, assuming the
key-combination would not otherwise be matched.

(Also the people who requested bindings instead of home/end probably
would prefer using +shift to extend selections for those.)

Regards,
Nick