[Geany] extend selection keybindings (Re: word-boundary characters)

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Oct 2 12:52:50 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 12:04:47 +0100, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> > If this is a big issue for people, we could add two additional
> > keybindings for the case when Shift is pressed. But these would have
> > to be changed as well. So there are even more configuration efforts
> > necessary.
> > Alternatively we could add some hacks to the code which allows the
> > Shift key to these both particular keybindings.
> >
> > I don't like both ways (the last one fewest :D).
>
> Personally I'd like it to work the second way, holding shift as well
> as the configured binding works to extend the selection. This would be
> useful for the 'Go to line end/start' bindings as well. For the reason
> I mentioned above, this wouldn't work for any keys that have a
> different character when shift is pressed, but it would work for the
> alphabet, control characters and the numeric keypad.

I'm not sure about the others, but yes, it should work for the
alphabet. But this is all ugly due to different keyboard layout and
different concepts.

If people would use their mouse, things were much easier :).
(j/k)

More seriously, the question to me is if it's worth all the effort
because I think many people don't use for instance the 'jump to
[left|right] word part' binding very often and even less people will
re-configure it. Maybe I'm wrong with that.

> I could look at implementing this if it's OK.

Sure, if you like to.