[Geany] Project Management - Multi File projects - Compilation options

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Nov 26 09:49:27 UTC 2008

Peter,

I am currently looking at some changes to the build menu which will allow
fully programmable commands.  This may go part of the way to providing what
you want.  The timetable is a little up in the air due to personal problems
limiting the amount of work I can do on it at present, but I would guess by
early next year.  See below for how the intended changes could help you.  It
will not address all you want.

2008/11/25 P.J.G. Long <pjgl2 at cam.ac.uk>

>  Dear All,
>
>       A while ago I post a question about how to use Geany in our
> situation, students compiling multi-file projects for multiple targets. At
> the time, and in subsequent postings, there where some hints that things
> were being thought about. I wondered if anything was likely in the near
> future or if people already had solutions. In particular,
>
>  1) Having multiple easily-accessible compile options for a project. We
> have a need to compile a number of files, normally using gcc, to run either
> locally on a Intel/Linux box or alternatively on a ARM based embedded
> micro. It would be nice to have one directory of sources and multiple
> targets. In this situation perhaps an option to have say two/three compile
> + build commands + associated targets. These could be used to compile with
> different options, e.g. debug on/off, different architectures ... The
> default would be the top option but the others could be selected if
> required

The intended system will allow the 'make' series of commands to be
programmable, defaulting to what is there now, or configured commands stored
in the user preferences or in the project file if it is open.  The way you
would then support different targets is to have a project file for each
target which defines the commands you require.  This is one of the intended
use cases for the modification.
It will still be up to you to set up makefiles with various targets,
different sets of makefiles or another builder in a way which provides you
with  support for variant builds.  In fact one of the motivations behind the
modification was the requirement to support a builder other than make to
allow our organisation to build multiple targets in exactly the way you
describe, but more easily set up than make is.

>  2) The possibility to include/exclude files from a multifile compilation.
> This could obviously be done from a editable makefile, but it would be nice
> to have them easily selectable in a project, e.g. with tick boxes + the
> ability to add/remove files from the options list.

 I think this level of interfacing would have to be to a specific builder to
know how to control it.  This therefore isn't intended to be part of my
current modifications because they support multiple build tools and
configurations. You could provide a plugin that supported your favourite
build tool with a GUI configuration system.