[Geany] {filename} and New with Template (Re: Template for C++ headers)

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Mon Nov 24 16:16:06 UTC 2008

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 15:51:02 +0100
Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> >But I think there could be a wider issue with templates - e.g. what
> >if someone wants a {filename} string to appear in their template
> >file and not be replaced? Using any kind of escaping for all braces
> >e.g. \{\} would be annoying. So maybe a solution is to make template
> >markers more unusual, e.g. %?filename?%.
>
> It depends how urgent is the case someone really wants "{filename}"
> not to be replaced.

Maybe it won't be much of a problem, who knows.

> Furthermore, all templates are editable and each
> {filename} occurrence (or whatever wildcard) can be removed.

(Not sure what you meant by this - I was talking about when the user
has made a template that contains that string and wants to keep it,
instead of having it replaced.)

>  I personally find using something like %?filename?% much more
> annoying and it would break any existing user-modified templates.

Yes, so if it doesn't affect people much just keep the current syntax.

> >Well, as Lex said it would be strange to use a plugin for C/C++
> >header file templates and normal New with Template file templates
> >for all other files.
>
> I didn't mean to use a plugin for special C/C++ header stuff. Either
> we move most things of the template code into a plugin so that using
> such a plugin is more reasonable.

OK, maybe.

> Or we just add {BASENAME} as a template. This could work as long until
> someone else requests another fancy template feature.

Heh, and maybe it should be {c_header_string} or something so that
chars like '-' get replaced with underscores.

Regards,
Nick