[Geany] Find Tag dialog - Re: feature suggestion: jump

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Fri Nov 21 13:01:44 UTC 2008

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 04:10:21 -0700
"Ben West" <mrgenixus at gmail.com> wrote:

> I honestly don't see the point of this..., the symbols list already
> adds this functionality.  if there are are enough symbols in the
> symbols list to warrant this, you're probably doing something wrong.

I've wanted to add a Find Tag dialog, because:
1. For the same file, sometimes it's hard to find symbol list items
(it is perfectly legitimate for complex software to have 100s of tags
in the symbol list, this is not necessarily due to a code design
problem - see scintilla/ScintillaGtk.cxx).
2. Sometimes you want to find a tag in another open document, and you
might not know which document it's in.
3. You might not remember exactly what the tag is called, and want to
see a list of all tags matching a pattern.

> Also, if the reason this has been suggested is becuase you want an
> esy way to find the declaration of an instance, you can right-click
> on any instance and "jump" (as you put it) to the declaration.  just
> my $.02us

But what about when you can't find the tag name you want easily on
screen?

> On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 2:43 AM, Gordon Wrigley
> <gordon.wrigley at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > I have a feature suggestion I'd like to make.
> >
> > The easiest way to explain this is probably just to point at an
> > example of a similar thing in a different application.
> > In most winamp style mp3 players when you press the j key it brings
> > up the jump dialog, this dialog provides a dynamic search of all
> > the files in the current playlist and allows you to instantly jump
> > to any of them. My suggestion is that Geany have a similar
> > mechanism for searching and jumping to symbols in the current file.
> >
> > This is not something I've seen in any other editor, but I think it
> > could be very handy.

I think a Find Tag dialog with autocompletion would be a useful
feature. Not sure if/when I'll get time to work on it though ;-)

Regards,
Nick