[Geany] using Geani 0.14 -

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Nov 17 22:18:32 UTC 2008

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 21:17:05 +0100, "virgilio semprini"
<virgilio.semprini at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

first, I don't know Python very well but it seems like an error with
your code.

>Note that the instruction *car = car[0] *under Geany issues another
>error: prints a strange character with a question mark inside and

No, it works fine here and if I add this line at the appropriate place
in your code, it magically starts to work as expected with your
provided example strings.
But I think 'car[0]' gives you only the first byte of the string 'car'
but you actually want to get the first character. And in UTF-8 bytes
are not always equal to UTF-8.
This is probably one of your problems. Feel free to correct me if I'm
wrong, it's late and I'm not a Python guy.

>moves the following line right. the question is: HAS GEANY PROBLEMS
>WITH THOSE PARTICULAR CONVERSTIONS?

No, Geany is a text editor, it doesn't know anything about the
semantics of your code...