[Geany] Note for SVN users: config directory location changed

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Nov 13 14:49:04 UTC 2008

Hi all,

for all of you who are using the SVN version, today (SVN r3219) we
changed the default location of the configuration directory (for
non-Windows systems).

Previously we used ~/.geany/ to store all Geany configuration settings.
As discussed in [1] we changed this to $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/geany (most
often this is ~/.config/geany) to follow the XDG Base Directory
specification [2].

When you start Geany the next time, it will try to move your previous
configuration directory and its contents to the new location. And it
will show a message dialog whether this action was successful or not.
In case it succeeded (which should happen in most cases), no further
action is necessary. The old directory is moved and so don't to be
deleted.
In case any error occurred Geany will show the error message in the
message dialog and then you should either manually copy the contents of
~/.geany to ~/.config/geany and delete ~/.geany.

If there are any problems or further questions, just post here.

[1]
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=787794&aid=2166229&group_id=153444
[2] http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/latest/index.html