[Geany] Template for C++ headers

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Nov 10 20:17:48 UTC 2008

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 21:55:11 +0200, jay <jay.27182818 at gmail.com> wrote:

Hey,

>thanks for reply. it would be great to move all template related stuff
>into a plugin. most ide's like eclipse or netbeans or even vs first ask
>user to select a template and then to specify a name for the new file.
>if i'm not mistaken eclipse cdt can create unnamed files the same way
>geany does but in such cases it doesn't use any templates. so geany is
>just missing asking for a filename. It'd be nice if you make it

Yes, Geany asks first for the filename when the file is actually to be
saved, not when creating. I like it this way as it makes creating files
more easy and fast.

>possible for plugins to intercept menu actions like file creation or
>saving - it will make it easy to store all template related code in a
>plugin that would handle creating new files.

To some extend, this is already possible. There are plugin signals
emitted when a document is created, opened, saved and closed.
Hwoever, except for closed, these signals are emitted after the
corresponding action. But this might be still enough for a template
plugin to add the desired functionality.
Feel free to work on this, if any API changes/additions needed, just
tell us about and we'll see how we can solve it.