[Geany] PHP Debugger for Geany

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Mon May 26 12:20:36 UTC 2008

Hi,
Sorry for the late reply.

On Thu, 15 May 2008 10:14:32 -0400
Translucide Design & Communications <info at translucidedesign.com> wrote:

> I contacted the main developper of Geany to ask him if integrating a
> PHP Debugger in Geany was planned. Unfortunately, there is no plans
> for this. I would like to have this in Geany since it is the only

I can't help you to implement it, but here's some information that may
help.

You might like to look at the GeanyDebug plugin that uses GDB:
http://yetanothergeek.justfree.com/geanydebug/

> In order to add this functionnality in geany, these must be
> implemented :
>
> - A communication channel between the debugger & Geany.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you want a textual interface for
the debugger, probably the plugin would create its own text input
widget and connect its own callbacks.

That said, for good integration probably the plugin API could be
extended. I can't remember for sure but I think the GeanyDebug plugin
adds messages to the Build window with file and line number, so after a
segfault the user can click on the last build error entry and Geany
would switch to the position in an open file.

Another idea is to use the VTE widget, and extend it so you could right
click on file/line information to add a popup menu entry for 'goto file
postition'.

If you need any specific help on writing a plugin, please see the
HACKING file and post any questions to the geany-devel mailing list.

Regards,
Nick