[Geany] Incremental Search Backward - the third

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Fri Mar 28 21:15:45 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 11:55 AM, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:47:24 +0000, Nick Treleaven
>  <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>  > On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 13:18:34 -0400
>  > "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >

>  > > Also, I still think it would be good to visually indicate when
>  > > you're in search backward mode. It would just make using the
>  > > feature feel more intuitive, IMO. Maybe a hidden preference to
>  > > color the field background a light dull yellow when in backward
>  > > mode? (I suppose there could also be a corresponding hidden option
>  > > to set that color value if you really wanted to be choosey.)
>  >
>  > If we implement this it might as well be on by default IMO.
>  And another >if we implement this<: then we should probably also make
>  the "not found" colour (light red) configurable, maybe even in the pref
>  dialog, not with a hidden pref.
>
>  So, what to choose?
>  - The changing background colour of the text field doesn't take any
>  new space on the toolbar but still requires for each backward search
>  that the keybinding is pressed.
>  - The additional button for backwards search is probably most intuitive
>  and most easy to use, but eats some space.
>  - Combine both?

I think that the search field background color should always change if
you go to search backward mode (just like it always goes red for a
failed search). Also, my guess is that users changing this color would
be pretty rare.

Also, I think both buttons should always be present. One extra button
doesn't take up a whole lot of room, and it also clearly indicates to
the user that they can go in either direction. Also, as Nick said,
next to eachother makes it easier to work them with the mouse (for
those few users actually doing that ;) ).