[Geany] Incremental Search Backward - the third

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Wed Mar 26 17:00:55 UTC 2008

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:22:45 +0100
Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> Nick suggested "Maybe just a keybinding to focus the search box that
> sets a reverse search flag, which is cleared when the search box loses
> focus would be enough."
> So, I think the keybinding would be the major way of using it. Anyway,
> I also think we need some kind of visible indication that the
> incremental search is in backwards mode.

I'm not sure we need an indication if the backwards mode is reset once
the focus leaves the search bar - the user can remember they pressed
the search backward keybinding.

> I could think of an
> additional button between the search box and the search button in the
> toolbar (even if this would bloat it a little more). This additional
> button would be a toggle button, which is in normal state (unpressed)
> if the usual forward incremental search is active, and it will be
> toggled(pressed) when the keybinding is pressed or the user pressed
> the button directly. So, you can quickly see in which mode the
> incremental search would work, the button indicates it. But it's just
> an idea.

I'm not sure a toggle button would be good. Perhaps having 2 buttons,
like this:
[ search text ]  [ B ] [ F ]
Where B is for search backwards and F forwards. This would be quicker
to use than having to check the toggle button is set correctly before
using the find button.

Another alternative is to use the existing find button to mean search
backward when holding Shift, saving an extra button, but this has no
visual indication or discoverability. Having an extra button
would be best IMO.

Regards,
Nick