[Geany] Query regarding plugin creation

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Thu Mar 20 16:29:48 UTC 2008

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 07:30:53 -0500
"Jeff Pohlmeyer" <yetanothergeek at gmail.com> wrote:

> S h i v <shivakumar.gn at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 2. Still better, I write the plugins using scriting
> > language such as python in a way geany expects and place
> > it under plugins directory and the next time geany is
> > opened, it loads the plugin.
>
> It is possible to write Lua scripts for Geany, using the
> GeanyLua plugin from:
>   http://yetanothergeek.justfree.com/geanylua
>
> Python support has been discussed here before, but
> as far as I know, nobody is currently working on it.

I just changed the TODO wishlist item for Python scripting to 'Python
plugin interface' - IMO there's no need for a competing Python variant
of your great Lua plugin. It would be more useful to have Python
bindings for the plugin API, so plugins could be written in Python
instead of C. This would be harder to write than a Lua user 'script' but
would also be more flexible, if it used pygtk. Of course this is only a
wishlist item, don't anyone expect it to get done ;-)

Regards,
Nick