[Geany] Plugin keybindings support in SVN

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Mon Mar 17 16:51:00 UTC 2008

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 10:24:34 -0500
"Jeff Pohlmeyer" <yetanothergeek at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Nick Treleaven
> <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> > Hi all plugin authors,
> >  For the details on how to add keybindings to your plugins please
> > see plugins/htmlchars.c, and post here if you need more information.
>
> Another thing I would like some clarification about -
> Toggling a plugin off/on in the plugin manager causes
> it to forget any saved keybinding settings. Which seems
> logical for a lot of cases, if you don't want the plugin
> enabled, then you probably don't want its settings
> cluttering up the config file. For plugins with only a
> couple of keybindings, this is not really a problem for
> the user to go back and reconfigure the settings.

I've been meaning to add support for loading an individual plugin's
keybindings when enabled in the plugin manager. I don't think it
matters about keeping unloaded plugin's shortcuts in the keyfile
really. I wasn't not sure whether it's necessary to save configured
shortcuts when the user decides to unload a plugin (although there
should at least be a warning somewhere).

> But since people are already talking about 12+ keys for
> the Lua plugin, I hated to see this information lost
> without warning at the click of a checkbox, so I added
> some code to let the Lua plugin save it own keybindings
> to its own config file when it is unloaded. IMO, this
> is the best approach, if a plugin wants its keys saved
> when it is unloaded,  then it is the responsibility of
> the plugin to save them.

Hmm, I don't really see it as the plugin's responsibility, perhaps it
should be in the core. I don't like the idea of having some
keybindings in Geany's keyfile and some in a plugin's keyfile, it
doesn't seem a tidy solution.

Regards,
Nick