[Geany] Find in files -> exclude version control dirs

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Mon Mar 17 13:26:17 UTC 2008

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 13:22:32 +0100
Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 00:44:41 -0500, "Jeff Pohlmeyer"
> <yetanothergeek at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> > > Jeff Pohlmeyer  <yetanothergeek at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >  > I just now stumbled across this:
> > >  >   http://www.petdance.com/ack/
> > >  > I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it could be the
> > >  > right tool for the job.

Looks good. I'll use it when I'm at the command-line, I don't like
having to type --color every time with grep.

> > Looks like I spoke too soon, sorry. Although it does look like a
> > handy tool for searching from the command line,  the output format
> > doesn't really fit very well with Geany's find in files output.
> > (Someone who knows Perl could probably make it work quite easily.)
> Its output can be trimmed to be like grep's,
> ack --nocolor --nogroup
> is a good start. Anyway. the FIF dialog is pretty much tuned for grep
> and I don't think we really should change this. IMO the current state
> is sufficient.

I think if someone wants to write a patch to make the -nHIF flags a
hidden pref this would be OK.

> > But it does bring up the idea for some sort of tool to allow for
> > more fine-grained search options, maybe a plugin or simply a
> > program (or wrapper) to use instead of grep.
> Sounds like an ideal idea for a plugin - yet another, super-featured
> and super-easy to use grep frontend ;-).

Probably all of FIF could be moved into a plugin, it's quite
self-contained (after adding the necessary message window functions).

Regards,
Nick