[Geany] Geany compiling error on Windows

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Fri Mar 14 12:23:51 UTC 2008

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:50:06 -0600
"Alexandru Guzu" <alexguzu at gmail.com> wrote:

[...]
> As far as executing Geany in the cygwin environment.. I suppose I
> have to compile the file using the command line, separately from
> Geany. And even the cygwin minght not be "complete" in the sense that
> it may require another piece of software, and so on. I don't really

I haven't used cygwin myself, but it is quite a big suite of software.
Personally I just use the MinGW tools. Also I should warn you that
compiling Geany on Windows is quite involved, and shouldn't be
necessary.

> like fiddling with such software. When I was working in java, I used
> Eclipse, and i just had to install some java stuff, but I knew
> exactly what to install. Now i don't know what compiler works "out of
> the box" with Geany on Windows.

The MinGW gcc compiler should work, I use it myself.

You may already have done this, but just in case you downloaded only
gcc, use the 'Automated MinGW Installer' program:

Also you should probably read any documentation for MinGW.

I understand it can be a barrier having to install tools yourself, but
Geany is meant to be a lightweight IDE, and many people use Geany who
don't want to do any C programming. So it doesn't make sense for us to
offer a bundled download. Of course, someone could make a
MinGW-Geany bundle if they want to, under the terms of the GNU GPL.

> Probably it's not a good idea to use Geany on Windows after all.
> Has anyone actually been able to compile with Geany under Windows,
> and if so, what are the steps?

Besides what I mentioned earlier, you should check that you can compile
with gcc from the command prompt (usually cmd.exe). If this is the
case, it's possible there is a bug with Geany's build support on
Windows.

Another thing to try is writing a Makefile and using the Build->Make
command, after configuring the make tool in preferences. (Most useful
projects should use makefiles anyway.)

Just to be clear - both gcc and make work fine for me on Windows
2000 with a recent version of Geany (read 0.13).

Regards,
Nick