[Geany] Column mode editing

Joerg Desch jd.vvd at xxxxx
Wed Mar 12 06:50:55 UTC 2008

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 14:07:00 -0700
chuck <ctl at arrowtwins.com> wrote:

> Suppose you want to change the variable names so they all have 2-digit
> numbers leading with a zero; so the first line would read
> char *fill_01 = "Chapter 1";

Both examples could be done very easily with Geany using a column
selection together with find+replace. IMO it's much better than a
zero-width selection.

A nice feature for a "fill column selection" would be "auto-increment". So
if I copy a variable several times, ...

char *fill_1 = "Chapter 1";
char *fill_1 = "Chapter 1";
char *fill_1 = "Chapter 1";
char *fill_1 = "Chapter 1";
char *fill_1 = "Chapter 1";

..it would be very handy to select the 1's as column block, press the magic key and all the 1's would be replaced like this. The auto-increment has to read the first character (the '1' in this case) and use this as starting point.

char *fill_1 = "Chapter 1";
char *fill_2 = "Chapter 1";
char *fill_3 = "Chapter 1";
char *fill_4 = "Chapter 1";
char *fill_5 = "Chapter 1";

This is just an idea. But I think this better should be plugin or a LUA script.

--
Email: Joerg Desch <jd DOT vvd AT web DOT de>