[Geany] Some notes on Geanys project management

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Fri Mar 7 14:18:08 UTC 2008

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 13:13:16 +0000, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 22:40:47 +0200
> Yura Siamashka <yurand2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 17:11 +0100, Enrico Tröger wrote:
> > > Remote filesystems are one reason, another reason is that this is
> > > IMO just unnecessary disk-IO which should be avoided. Think of hard
> > > drive life times and maybe it can be also a performance issue on
> > > older systems with older hard drives or when the hard drive is
> > > quite busy. I really don't like this, it can cause heavy load when
> > > switching between several times quickly.
> >
> > IMHO, you are wrong about heavy load. It is just 1-3 access() call
> > when you switch tab. It is not like geanyprj nuke disk every second
> > or on every editing operation.
> >
> > reload_project() is probably bad function name. It doesn't actually
> > reload project every time. This happen only if path to project file is
> > changed.
>
> I think reading a project file on disk when switching to a document
> that 'belongs' to another project is OK (so long as it's not read more
> than necessary). After all, people who use the 'auto switch project
> based on current file' plugin would want that behaviour. Maybe projects
> could be cached, but personally I don't think a big cache is needed.
> Even a cache of just the previous project would reduce disk reads quite
> a lot.
Hmmm ok, if I can disable it all is fine ;-).

> Also Geany has to read the disk quite regularly anyway (default every
This is one of things I don't like (even though I wrote it ;-)). But
there isn't a good alternative (except using FAM or something like this
but it would require additional dependencies).