[Geany] Some notes on Geanys project management

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed Mar 5 16:58:57 UTC 2008

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 16:35:40 +0000, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 23:12:51 +0200
> Yura Siamashka <yurand2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
> > The main reason why I can't stand using native project manager is
> > Project session support (IMHO, it is annoying to have all opened files
> > nuked on project close). But since it can be disabled I think it will
> > be nice to split geanyprj in 2 part.
> >
> > 1) Add "go to tag def/decl" code to geany native project.
> > 2) Extract rest part "auto switch project based on current file" in
> > separate plugin.
>
> I think this sounds good, but I haven't had a chance to test the
> geanyprj plugin yet. It would be cool to have (1) in the core, but I'm
> not sure how much code it is or how much extra memory would be used
> typically. Memory probably isn't an issue so long as there's a
> preference not to load tags from unopen files under the project base
> dir, and IMO it should be off by default.
>
> Enrico, should this be in the core?
Depends on the way of implementation.
I don't like what geanyprj is doing currently. I didn't have a deeper
look but Yura, you call reload_project() on every document-activate
event? So, everytime a user switch between files, the plugin searches
for ".geanyprj" and checks the type of the current project.
I really don't like this. Disk-IO on every tab change.
Furthermore, I don't like the .geanyprj files at all. But of course,
some kind of cache is necessary.
I'm not sure.

And just while testing the plugin a little bit, it crashed away ;-).
Backtrace is attached, steps to reproduce:
- open geany with an open project and some project session files
- load the geanyprj with the plugin manager
- Tools->Project->New
- Name: "tmp"
  Location: "/tmp"
  Base path: "/tmp"