[Geany] geany-dev, plugins

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Mar 4 13:00:22 UTC 2008

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 12:18:59 +0000, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 14:51:46 +0100
> Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 17:01:51 +0000, Nick Treleaven
> > <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Personally I don't, but maybe there is something we can do to help
> > And we don't have to. First, as I told, Damián is reading this list.
> > Second, creating a -dev(el) package from a source package is the job
> > of a distro's package maintainer. We (the Geany developers)
> > release/distribute only one source package which can be used to build
> > several other packages from, e.g. geany, geany-dev, geany-plugins or
> > whatever. But this is more or less completely in the responsibility of
> > the package maintainer.
>
> OK. But I think we should install the header files for plugins with the
> usual 'make install'. This then shows the package maintainer that they
> could make a -dev package.
Sure, this is what I meant below. WE have to install the required
headers with "make install" in some usual place($prefix/include/geany).

> > The only thing we have to do is to refactor some of the sources so a
> > -dev(el) package can be created in a sane way. A sane way means that
> > only a few headers files are necessary to be used by plugins. At the
> > moment, plugins can use all header files from Geany. This is the easy
> > solution but would require a dev(el) package to include all Geany
> > header files which contain parts of the plugin API.
> > I think this is not what we should do.
>
> It depends. I don't think it's really a problem for a -dev package to
> include most of the headers. Also it's important to keep the
> modularisation of headers and source in the core.
Hmmm ok. But then we have to install the headers in a subdirectory like
"geany". If we do it this way, it shouldn't be much work at all.