[Geany] Some notes on Geanys project management

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Mar 4 13:00:18 UTC 2008

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 09:25:44 +0100, Joerg Desch <jd.vvd at web.de> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 21:02:44 +0100
> Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
>
> > CVS is old and there are lots of newer and better SCMs out there ;-).
> > SSH with pubkey authentication is encouraged because it's much more
> > convenient, more secure and easy to set up.
>
> Yes, that's right. But CVS is easy to install, even on old server
> hardware. SVN needs Apache2 and WebDAV and Bazaar is written in Python.
That isn't true. Subversion does NOT need Apache and webdav. You can
run it also via SSH (svn+ssh://...) or directly via svnserve
(svn://...).

> Hm. For me the main reason is, that CVS is the default either in our
> company (for hundreds of years now ;-)), and all of my stuff at
> sourceforge or berlios uses CVS.
Sure. I didn't mean you have to use anything else but at least should
consider it. And the problem itself also exists when using subversion
with SSH and without pubkey authentication.
So, the easiest solution would be to setup pubkey authentication which
is more secure and much more convenient (no password typing at all).

> > > * one last thing for now ;-)  My old Laptop has a screen resolution of
> > >   1024x768. It would be great to have icons instead of text as lables
> > > for the tabs of the sidebar.
> > Any ideas for icons to be used?
>
> The hardest job of the world. ;-)
>
> The "silk icons" are a good source of icons or ideas.
> (http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/)
Thanks.
Alternatively, what do you think about the idea of shortened labels
suggested by Jeff. I would prefer this over icons because it would work
always. Icons tend to be installed in the wrong place, conflict with
the user's icon theme or whatever ;-).