[Geany] Some notes on Geanys project management

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Mar 4 12:58:50 UTC 2008

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 08:41:19 +0100, Joerg Desch <jd.vvd at web.de> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 20:50:48 +0100
> Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Enrico.

> > > But than I must have control over this feature. I most cases I don't
> > > want to have the "other" files in the session of my current project.
> > > May be it's a way to manually tag it as "stick to project" (project
> > > menu entry?).
> > IMO this would be just overhead to what most users will need. I don't
> > see the problem, if you don't want a certain file in your session,
> > close it. If you need it, open it.
>
> That's exactly my opinion. But why is every file that is opened while a
> "project session" is active put in the session list of this project?
>
> For example: I'm sitting in my office working with a bundle of files of
> my project. A colleague is coming, asking my something about an old
> project. So I open a (old) file answer the question and and than continue
> to work. Now I have a file from an old project in my project list. Ok, I
Yes, there is no way to get around this. Geany doesn't know anything
about files belonging to a project or not. Geany only knows about the
current open files and the current open project. All files which are
open together with a project are saved as project' session files when
closing the project or closing Geany.

> can close it, but after playing with 0.13, there are situations, where
> these "other" files appears / disappears together the projects in a way I
> had not expected. It's not really a problem, it is a little confusing. At
> least to me. ;-) May be I have to use 0.13 for a longer timer....
Hmm, might be there is a bug with project session support. If you could
give more details and ideally a way to reproduce it, we could
probably fix it :D.

> > "Geany works with files" is the key message. Please be aware of what
> > project support in Geany was designed for and what it is: simple. This
> > is not a limitation but a feature.
> > Geany is a (file) editor. I remember me using Eclipse where you can't
> > simply open a file quickly to edit it. You always have to create a
> > project and then add a file to the project. I hate that.
>
> Ok, that is a statement. ;-) But than I have the question, why do you
> implement sessions in the core application? Wouldn't it be better to move
> this into a plugin? So the user can decide to have this "lightweight
The pure session support in the core was one of the first features,
long before any project management code was written. Between 0.12 and
0.13, project session support was added(by re-using most of the
non-project session support code).
Users can decide whether to use session support in general
(non-project related) and whether to use project-based session support.
So, both can be disabled.

> project sessions", or a future project plugin. Are there ways (for a
> plugin) to disable the current project implementation?
Not really. At least, there is no code to explicitly disable Geany's
project management support. If this really is an issue and Yura need
anything specific for his geanyprj plugin to be disabled or something,
we can add it.

> > > Whats your way of working with projects / files?
> > Me personally: No projects, files only. All what I personally need
> > regarding project support can be done (and is done) with Makefiles.
>
> As I posted earlier, I'm working this way too. On my office PC I'm using
> Emacs with ECB (and speedbar). Here I have the symbol view, the file
> browser and the document view. Like with Geany. But what I'm really
> missing is the possibility to either switch between projects in an fast
> way (may be with recent projects) or to have more than one open project
> at the same time. For Emacs I'm using gnuserv to have multiple main
More than one open project at the same time isn't support on purpose.
We didn't want to support this. You can use a second instance instead
and open another project in it.