[Geany] Some notes on Geanys project management

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Mar 3 20:02:48 UTC 2008

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 13:49:23 +0000, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 22:02:58 +0000 (UTC)
> Joerg Desch <joerg.desch at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
> > * enforce the extension of the project file. I've edit the filename
> > first, and forgot the extension. After this, ".geany" got lost.
>
> I agree, we should do this.
Really?
I don't like this. This reminds me of the ugly ".txt" problem with
Windows Notepad. In Windows XP(maybe also in versions before) you can't
save a file with Windows Notepad without the .txt extension. This was
driving me crazy several times and I really don't want to add anything
similar to Geany.
Additionally, there is no need to enforce the extension of Geany
project files to ".geany". Users can and should be able to choose any
extension they like or no extension.

> > * opening a project automatically closes all files from outside the
> >   the project, if the file was loaded previously to the project. After
> >   closing the project, these file got loaded again.
> >
> >   Now I load the project first, and than the "other file". After
> > closing the project, the "other file" is closed too. This is also the
> > case, if Geany is closed with the project and the "other file" open.
> > After the new start, all files are open. But again, closing the
> > project will close the "other file" too!
> >
> >   Is this a bug?
>
> It was done like this to make implementing the session support easier,
> but maybe it could be made a preference whether to distinguish between
> files under the project tree and files outside it.
I think this would make it more confusing than it would help.