[Geany] Some notes on Geanys project management

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Mar 3 19:50:48 UTC 2008

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 18:07:07 +0000 (UTC), Joerg Desch
<joerg.desch at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at ...> writes:
>
> > >   Now I load the project first, and than the "other file". After
> > > closing the project, the "other file" is closed too. This is also the
> > > case, if Geany is closed with the project and the "other file" open.
> > > After the new start, all files are open. But again, closing the
> > > project will close the "other file" too!
> > >
> > >   Is this a bug?
> >
> > It was done like this to make implementing the session support easier,
> > but maybe it could be made a preference whether to distinguish between
> > files under the project tree and files outside it.
> >
> > Sometimes you might want a file from some other API to be stored in the
> > project session.
>
> But than I must have control over this feature. I most cases I don't want to
> have the "other" files in the session of my current project. May be it's a
> way to manually tag it as "stick to project" (project menu entry?).
IMO this would be just overhead to what most users will need. I don't
see the problem, if you don't want a certain file in your session,
close it. If you need it, open it.

> > > All files from outside these projects can be automatically added to
> > > an "virtual" project 'unmanaged'. So the user can fast toggle between
> > > a project and the "other" files.
> >
> > Maybe this could be part of the grouping in the Documents sidebar
> > tab (probably this will be delayed if the folder tree is being
> > implemented).
>
> Hm. Is this the right place? What kind of "view" is the "documents sidebar"?
> Currently it show all loaded files. After switching the project, all "other"
> files are closed. So what is it good for?
>
> Geany works with files. The files are mainly organized in projects. Projects are
> defined as a directory hierarchie. So IMO we need a more project centric view of
> things. If we allow all "other" files to be a "loosly project", we have them in
> the project view too. This "loosly project" is a stripped down project without
> own properties. So the internal handling is not changed. Only the not existing
> project view need to know this "special project".
>
> That do you think about that?
"Geany works with files" is the key message. Please be aware of what
project support in Geany was designed for and what it is: simple. This
is not a limitation but a feature.
Geany is a (file) editor. I remember me using Eclipse where you can't
simply open a file quickly to edit it. You always have to create a
project and then add a file to the project. I hate that.

> Whats your way of working with projects / files?
Me personally: No projects, files only. All what I personally need
regarding project support can be done (and is done) with Makefiles.