[Geany] Some notes on Geanys project management

Joerg Desch joerg.desch at xxxxx
Mon Mar 3 18:07:07 UTC 2008

Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at ...> writes:

> >   Now I load the project first, and than the "other file". After
> > closing the project, the "other file" is closed too. This is also the
> > case, if Geany is closed with the project and the "other file" open.
> > After the new start, all files are open. But again, closing the
> > project will close the "other file" too!
> >
> >   Is this a bug?
>
> It was done like this to make implementing the session support easier,
> but maybe it could be made a preference whether to distinguish between
> files under the project tree and files outside it.
>
> Sometimes you might want a file from some other API to be stored in the
> project session.

But than I must have control over this feature. I most cases I don't want to
have the "other" files in the session of my current project. May be it's a
way to manually tag it as "stick to project" (project menu entry?).

> > But now the notes on the project management.
> >
> > * I need to switch between different projects. It would be
> >   good to have a sidebar with all projects listed. The project
>
> We were thinking this could be handled with a Recent Projects menu.
> [...]

"Recent Projects" would be nice. But with an sidebar, someone can add
features like "CVS Release" or "CVS chekcout" (if the project base in no
longer available).

> > All files from outside these projects can be automatically added to
> > an "virtual" project 'unmanaged'. So the user can fast toggle between
> > a project and the "other" files.
>
> Maybe this could be part of the grouping in the Documents sidebar
> tab (probably this will be delayed if the folder tree is being
> implemented).

Hm. Is this the right place? What kind of "view" is the "documents sidebar"?
Currently it show all loaded files. After switching the project, all "other"
files are closed. So what is it good for?

Geany works with files. The files are mainly organized in projects. Projects are
defined as a directory hierarchie. So IMO we need a more project centric view of
things. If we allow all "other" files to be a "loosly project", we have them in
the project view too. This "loosly project" is a stripped down project without
own properties. So the internal handling is not changed. Only the not existing
project view need to know this "special project".

That do you think about that?

Whats your way of working with projects / files?

> > * The "projects sidebar" or the main toolbar should have a "drop
> > down" box with a list of "release flavours". The list can be fix or
>
> I think this will be handled by remembering make commands with a
> setting for the current command to use. See my Custom build commands
> mail.

Do you mean I have to change the build command for that?

> I think we need text labels for clarity. You can still scroll the
> sidebar notebook.

Symbols, Documents and Files? IMO scrolling with the mouse is much more time
consuming than remember the icon. IMO the hover text is help enough. ;-)