[Geany] Some notes on Geanys project management

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Mon Mar 3 13:49:23 UTC 2008

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 22:02:58 +0000 (UTC)
Joerg Desch <joerg.desch at googlemail.com> wrote:

[...]
> * enforce the extension of the project file. I've edit the filename
> first, and forgot the extension. After this, ".geany" got lost.

I agree, we should do this.

> * opening a project automatically closes all files from outside the
>   the project, if the file was loaded previously to the project. After
>   closing the project, these file got loaded again.
>
>   Now I load the project first, and than the "other file". After
> closing the project, the "other file" is closed too. This is also the
> case, if Geany is closed with the project and the "other file" open.
> After the new start, all files are open. But again, closing the
> project will close the "other file" too!
>
>   Is this a bug?

It was done like this to make implementing the session support easier,
but maybe it could be made a preference whether to distinguish between
files under the project tree and files outside it.

Sometimes you might want a file from some other API to be stored in the
project session.

> But now the notes on the project management.
>
> * I need to switch between different projects. It would be
>   good to have a sidebar with all projects listed. The project

We were thinking this could be handled with a Recent Projects menu.
[...]

>   All files from outside these projects can be automatically added to
> an "virtual" project 'unmanaged'. So the user can fast toggle between
> a project and the "other" files.

Maybe this could be part of the grouping in the Documents sidebar
tab (probably this will be delayed if the folder tree is being
implemented).

[...]
> * The "projects sidebar" or the main toolbar should have a "drop
> down" box with a list of "release flavours". The list can be fix or

I think this will be handled by remembering make commands with a
setting for the current command to use. See my Custom build commands
mail.

[...]
> * one last thing for now ;-)  My old Laptop has a screen resolution of
>   1024x768. It would be great to have icons instead of text as lables
> for the tabs of the sidebar.

I think we need text labels for clarity. You can still scroll the
sidebar notebook.

Regards,
Nick