[Geany] LaTeX tools makeindex bibtex

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Jun 15 11:45:26 UTC 2008

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 11:23:30 -0300, "Adrovane Kade"
<adrovane at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I do agree that this would be a very helpful feature for those of
> us using Geany for editing Latex files. I use VTE for bibtexing, but
> it is not the most practical way to do that. I also suggest the
> inclusion of options to completely build a ps or a pdf file from
> source, in the same manner as the rubber utility
> (http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~beffara/soft/rubber/) does.

I'm not a LaTeX user and I actually don't like the current way of
having Create DVI/PDF and Run DVI/PDF commands. Every filetype in Geany
has a Compile, an optionally Linker and a Run command. LaTeX is the
only filetype which has more, special commands and this caused lots of
extra code whereas all other filetypes are handled by a smaller, more
generic code base.

Instead of adding even more very special cases for LaTeX, I'd like
to remove the special code and make it as every other filetype.
For the mentioned special cases, Makefiles can be used, a separate
plugin (probably best way).
There is already a GeanyLatex plugin which adds some more
functionality, maybe it can be extend to provide better build commands
for special LaTeX needs and we can remove the special code from Geany's
core to keep it cleaner.

As a workaround for a least one more command you can use the "Context
action command" (see the manual for details).