[Geany] Keyword auto completion?

Micael m8847 at xxxxx
Fri Jul 11 19:03:51 UTC 2008

On Friday 11 July 2008 16.07.14 Nick Treleaven wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 13:37:59 +0200
> Micael <m8847 at abc...> wrote:
>
> > As far as I can understand, there's no keyword autocompletion. With
> > this I mean e.g. that I type "wh" and hit space, where the editor
> > exanps the keyword and builds the construct, such as:
> >  while ( )
> >  {
> >  }
> >       .. or similar.
> >
> > I understand that the functionality is almost there, by instead use
> > TAB, but only once the full keyword has been entered. i.e. while<TAB>
> > builds the construct.
>
> You can set the 'Complete snippet' keybinding to space if you like.

Actually, no, as Geany (yet) does not have context knowledge - i.e. if I would
write the (quite common) word "if" whithin a comment, it would expand to the
construct build...
But, I can live with the TAB expansion, in one way, one could argue that it is
more natural in the linux environment anyway.

> > I also realise that snippets could be enhanced to do this, if there
> > would be an optional accept length?
> > e.g: "accept keyword min len lookup = 2" would give the correct
> > key-word expansion after at least wh and TAB where entered.
> > (Obviously whi<TAB> would also work)
>
> Maybe this could be implemented. For now you could edit
> ~/.geany/snippets.conf and change the 'while' key to 'wh'.

Yeah, I guess! Maybe that is a solution. As this will generate quite a few
snippets, I would be concerned about the speed. But maybe this is not really
a problem.

Thanks,
 Micael