[Geany] Modifying the document browser's behavior

Adam Plumb adamplumb at xxxxx
Mon Feb 25 17:45:50 UTC 2008

hi all, I'm new to the list and somewhat new to geany.  I'm a developer and
have recently moved from Windows + Editpad Pro for my editing to Linux +
Geany.  The move has been somewhat rocky, mostly due to the slightly
different workflow, but there is one "feature" in Editpad that I really
found useful and I'd like to bring it to Geany.

Editpad has a sidebar file browser that is a mix of Geany's Documents
sidebar + the file browser plugin.  That is, it only shows open documents,
but it reveals which directory each file is in, like so...

includes
      pdf
         - pdf.php
   - file.php
   - http.php
- index.php
- something.php

So if you're working on files in different directories, it gives you a
visual representation of that, rather than a flat list of open documents in
the Geany Documents sidebar.  And it only shows files that are open.

Geany can be made to show the full path of files, but even if all the files
are in the same directory, it shows the entire path (/home/adam/.....) for
all files.

I was wondering if this functionality already exists in either Geany or in a
plugin.  If so, I haven't been able to find it.  If this functionality
doesn't already exist, would it be better for me to look into making a
plugin for it?  I haven't actually opened up the geany code yet, so I don't
know much about what is going on internally.  But I would appreciate some
steering in the correct direction as to the best way I could implement this.

Thanks all,

Adam