[Geany] calltips for python?

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Thu Feb 21 17:54:22 UTC 2008

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 00:28:52 +0100
Tim Michelsen <timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de> wrote:

> > Actual calltip support (shown when typing function arguments) for
> > more languages is on the TODO list, but is not a high priority at
> > the moment (ideally someone familiar with each language and C would
> > extend the current parsers).
> Is there not any library that can be build upon?
> For instance for syntax highlighting in webpages there is geshi.

(We already have python syntax highlighting ;-))

I expect there is code that other editors may use for parsing calltips,
but it can still be a fair bit of work getting the code to work with
something it wasn't designed for. Maybe it doesn't support all the
things Geany currently does, so you can't just replace
geany_python_parser with some_other_python_parser. A more fundamental
problem is the code for Python editors is probably written in Python.

Maybe there is a suitable extension to the CTags Python parser, but I
haven't found it.

Just to explain the potential problems ;-)

Regards,
Nick