[Geany] vcdiff output on windows

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Feb 17 17:55:29 UTC 2008

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 10:04:22 -0600, "Jeff Pohlmeyer"
<yetanothergeek at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> Would it make sense to use a proc_open and store the output in a temp
> file (new tab) instead or to some custom output/handler? I can even
what is proc_open? Is this anything from the Windows API?

> > It may work but it does not seem to use the "cmd" preference content
> > to call the cmd. Or can I set a cmd call specifically for vcdiff?
>

> oops, sorry - you're right, that won't work.
>
> Maybe you can try starting Geany with the -d option
> to see if the debug output shows you anything...
No, this won't help either.
The vcdiff plugin doesn't work on Windows, at the moment. This is
because some Windows binaries work different to others ;-).
The whole story:
in the vcdiff plugin, we execute the svn command line binary using
g_spawn_sync() and then reading the commands stdout. This works for
some commands like gcc.exe and g++.exe. It works also with the grep.exe
and make.exe but only if you use the ones from the UnxUtils package.
grep.exe and mingw-make.exe from the Mingw package, doesn't work on
Windows with Geany. "Doesn't work" means, the commands are executed and
they return. But they don't send their stdout to g_spawn_sync(), instead
they send the output to the opening console prompt. I don't know a way
how to retrieve this output.
And this is also what happens when executing the svn command.

The strange thing is that exactly the same code works for e.g. gcc.exe
(Mingw) and grep.exe, make.exe from the UnxUtils package.

If anyone has an idea about this, please tell us.