[Geany] hidden pref: show_editor_scrollbars (and also the horizontal scroll)

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sat Feb 16 10:00:19 UTC 2008

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 14:02:29 -0500, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

Hi,

> Just noticed another minor display (or maybe doc) issue: if I set the
> hidden pref show_editor_scrollbars=false, contrary to the docs, the
> scrollbars never appear -- even when the document is longer than what
> the view can display. I can still scroll down via the scroll wheel
thanks for pointing this out. This is a documentation bug.
show_editor_scrollbars hides the scrollbars in any case, regardless of
the necessity of the scrollbars.
You can only hide them or show them. Docs are fixed in current SVN
version.

> Interesting sidenote, Geany's horizontal scrollbar at the bottom is a
> bit odd in the way that it lets you scroll way out to the right even
> if you don't have any long lines. It tends to make me think I've got a
This is a Scintilla feature/bug. It might seem like a bug to users but
it is a wanted feature by the developer. From the Scintilla
documentation:
"For performance, Scintilla does not measure the display width of the
document to determine the properties of the horizontal scroll bar.
Instead, an assumed width is used. [...] The default value is 2000."
We could change the default value of 2000 but it wouldn't really solve
the problem as it would be only another fixed width.

> work in other editors is, the size of the scrollbar slider grippy
> thingy at the bottom varies depending on the max line length *of only
> the lines currently visible in the view*. More commonly though, the
> size of the slider thingy just gets set based on the length of the
> longest line in the whole doc, and that works very well.
Yes, that would be better. But Scintilla doesn't support this at the
moment.