[Geany] geanydebug vs. geanydbg - Re: Geanyvc for Geany 0.14

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Fri Dec 12 13:07:27 UTC 2008

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 19:51:50 +0100
Micke Nordin <mickewiki at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Plugin SVN will probably only work with Geany SVN, but you could try
> > it, or find an older revision that works with 0.15.
> I must be realy, realy stupid.

No, it's not your fault. It's difficult for users to install
geany-plugins because we haven't made an official release.

> Now I have compiled geany, geanydbg and geanyvc from svn and I can
> choose both geanyvc and geanydbg from the plugin-manager. I find
> geanyvc under the tool-menu, but I get no debugging  tab, like I used
> to have back in geany 0.14. Has the debugger moved or have I made som
> kind of misstake installing?
>
> It seems strange to me that I can choose the plugin, but it doesnt
> show up anywhere...

As Dominic said, the geanydbg 'DBG' plugin is not what you want.

@Yura: Could you rename this to 'External Debugger' and geanydebug to
'GDB' to avoid confusion?

Now, you might not see the geanydebug plugin because you don't have
GLib 2.14 - check Help->Debug Messages, it might say:

12:53:09: INFO		: Can't load
plugin: /usr/local/lib/geany/geanydebug.so: undefined symbol:
g_string_append_vprintf

This is because it currently requires GLib 2.14. I think I can fix this,
there was a patch but it didn't get applied.

Regards,
Nick