[Geany] Editor performance

Ben West mrgenixus at xxxxx
Thu Dec 4 21:09:53 UTC 2008

Personally, I see that a lot of people are using the nv driver and
expereincing slow gtk performance.  Unless I am mistaken, and I'm fairly
cerain I'm not, this can be explained and is NOT A COINCIDENCE.  My
apppologies to those of you using nvidia who will ultimately agree with
this.

Firstly:  The NV driver is non-accelerated, which means that it is able to
use the full capabilies of the card (frequency, height, width, etc), however
is does so at the most basic level imaginable, the nv driver *allows*
function.  GTK on the other hand, IS accelerated, or rather is designed to
be, and relies IIRC on XLibMesa.  IIRC, that means that when an activity
(like scrolling) is activated, it's going to use 100% CPU becuase CPU's
aren't optimized for graphics processing (It generates a lot of flops).
Conversly, using 'nvidia' AND minimal Effects (Enables GLX) WILL reduce the
CPU load for scrolling, depending on your graphics processor.  At some
level, a slower GPU WILL cause scrolling to lag/jump, but less-so than using
a processor for the same operation.

Secondly: People seem to always want to compare apples to oranges.  this has
already been covered, GNOME/GTK !+ KDE/Qt, Scintilla != Emacs/Vim. Perhaps a
more inteligent argument would be to use vi/vim as the editor instead of
scintilla.  If this is what you want, you probably don't want geany.

Sixth & Lastly: Complaning about performance (that is the idea of this
thread, no?) seems silly to me.  When one uses a software product so defined
by choice, one should function within the bounds of that aim, eh? If this
application (geany) doesn't meet your needs, then find a better solution.
If this is the best solution for you, then, I'm not sure why you're making
the complaint.

Thirdly: If you are largely offended by the above, and feel that my
commentary is offtopic or out of line, please consider me ignorant and rude,
as you probably already have.  It remains that if you considered this a bug,
you would have posted it as such, but rather than doing so, you have made it
a topic of discussion, and I largely respond by saying that geany is NOT
slow, nor are scrolling or any other operation slow. IMO, especially as
compared to Industry standards such as ecliplse, visual studio, etc, geany
is quite quick, especially where it counts.  I have selected geany over
those, based almost entirely on speed and features.

/ˈmɪstər/ /ˈdʒɛnəsɪs/@/dʒi/ /meɪl/ /dɒt/ /kɒm/
Benjamin West