[Geany] RFC: Bumping minimum GTK requirement to GTK 2.8

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Tue Dec 2 22:30:03 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 20:33:26 +0100
Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> we are thinking about to change Geany's minimum requirement of GTK to
> GTK 2.8 (currently it is 2.6).
>
> This would bring some advantages but obviously would prevent people
> with GTK 2.6 systems using Geany.
>

> So, is anyone still running GTK 2.6?

GTK 2.6.0 was released in Dec 2004. On the first hand, I think even
though this is a long time, there are still a number of systems
running that version (Solaris, AIX, RHEL, SLES ...). On the other hand
tools like GIMP are depending on much younger versions of GTK so a
part of that users already needed to update their version of GTK. Maybe
this step could be done after next major release. with putting a note to
release notes.

Cheers,
Frank
--