[Geany] Tab-Switching via Ctrl-Tab

Yura Siamashka yurand2 at xxxxx
Thu Aug 14 20:24:49 UTC 2008

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 13:18:08 +0100
Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 19:50:54 +0200
> Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
>
> > I'm still not really convinced, maybe I don't imagine it well enough.
> > When using MRU documents switching, I still need to use both features:
> > Ctrl-Tab to switch between documents and code navigation back/forward
> > to navigate inside _one_ document and I need to remember where which
> > code was.
>
> Yes, it would be a bit more complicated, but probably OK when the user
> got used to it. But that's what makes it more powerful.
It is not minor issue, IMHO, if code navigation is difficult and complicated to use, it is not worth using. I still don't see how it is more powerfull then exisiting navigation. Documents navigation sounds interesting, but only as additional feature, not as replace of existing code navigation.

Here is list of my critical requirements for IDE. If IDE don't have even one of them I think it is not good. Currently Geany match all of them, thanks a lot to devs and contributors. I hope Geany will stay this way in future.

1) should be fast (if you only 2 times faster then eclipse you are too slow to be usefull)
2) code highlight
3) code navigation
4) bookmarks
5) ability to run make, parse compiler output
6) ability to run scripts (.sh,  .py and others)
7) ability to run compiled program
8) ability to search in directory

--
Yura Siamashka <yurand2 at gmail.com>