[Geany] Toggle single and double quotes

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Aug 7 10:06:46 UTC 2008

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 13:52:57 +0200, Harold Aling <geany at sait.nl> wrote:

> Dear Geany devs,
>
> As some of you might know, it's generally faster to use single quotes
> (') around strings in php instead of double quotes ("). In some coding
> standards (like Drupal's) however you must use double quotes instead
> of escaping a single quote in your string ("'" instead of '\'') for
> readability. Cleaning up a piece of code (toggle single/double
> quotes) with search/replace requires a step in between or is quite an
> intensive job.
>
> It would be nice if Geany could toggle single and double qoutes of a
> selection, just like the toggle case function does...
>
> Bonus points could be earned if this feature would escape/unescape
> quotes too ;)
>

> What do you guys think: Feature request of thrash bin?

Haha, dangerous querstion...I personally would move it to the trash
bin. But what I personally think is often far away from most users
needs and wishes, so it doesn't count much.

To be more seriously, I think this could be easily solved as a plugin.
You just need to find someone who wants to implement it or refresh your
C knowledge and do it yourself! :D

I guess there can be found several similar tasks of multiple
substitutions and/or find/replace actions which can be simplified by
grouping them together. But most of these like your request are more or
less specific and so IMO they don't fit into Geany's core.