[Geany] Problems when "no space left on device"

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Mon Apr 28 11:41:10 UTC 2008

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 15:12:17 +0200
Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> yesterday an user reported that Geany behaves badly when there is no
> free disk space on the disk where the current file should be saved.
> That is, when you are editing a file in Geany, meanwhile your disk
> runs out of free space (extensive logging, copying large files, some
> process gone bad, ...) and you then save the file in Geany, it gets
> overwritten and the file is emptied.
> This is indeed bad.
> And there seems to be no easy way to fix it.

Does g_file_set_contents() work? It says it has good error checking:
http://library.gnome.org/devel/glib/stable/glib-File-Utilities.html#g-file-set-contents

This was introduced in GLib 2.8, but maybe we can copy the necessary
functions from gfileutils.c for users with GLib 2.6. (Alternatively, we
could consider raising the requirement for GLib to 2.8).

Regards,
Nick